<VV> Resurrection

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 08:13:59 -0500

Slinging blower-bearing lubricant is a bad blower bearing. Either installed
wrong, relubricated wrong (it isn't designed to be relubricated), worn out,
or defective. Replace the blower bearing. This bearing is integral with its
seal. If the seal fails, the bearing has effectively failed.
    Does your engine make its untoward sound with the car stationary? If so,
next time the engine is making that sound, take the fan belt off and quick
before the engine cools, start and run it again for a minute or less. If the
sound has gone away, the problem is in the belt train, quite possibly that
blower bearing or the blower itself.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Stephen Upham
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 1:09 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Resurrection

	I was able to get the '65 plates, title, and registration done at the
same time on Thursday.  It only took about thirty minutes.  What I
thought would be a big hassle, went as smooth as silk.
	I bought some clear plastic and chrome plate covers today after work
and at the FLAPS about 5:40 and then the wife and I went to Lucas to
pick the car up and drive it home.  After I folded the car cover and
put it in the back of the Durango, I put the new plate mounts on.  It
started right up although it didn't want to idle until it warmed up.
	The first half of the trip was uneventful and the car seemed to be
performing well.  It's a thirty mile highway trip.  The temperature
gauge warmed until it reached it's maximum temp of 280.  If it got any
hotter than that, I wouldn't know, but the idiot lights stayed off.  At
about the twenty mile mark, the engine noise began to increase but
there was no loss of power.
	When I arrived home, the noise was louder.  I opened the hood and
found that the blower bearing is continuing to throw out lubricant.  As
I had to get gas, I decided to let the engine cool and then see if the
source of the sound is from a tight new engine running a little warm or
something more sinister.  I suspected that a failing blower bearing
should be making a high squeaking sound like the bearings in a power
steering unit of lesser cars going out.  I listened for that and didn't
hear anything.  After about thirty minutes, I started the car again and
it started right up and ran well without excessive noise.  I took it to
the gas station and filled it up.  While driving home, I had the same
symptoms begin to appear.  It sounds like a knocking sound when the car
is traveling over 40 mph or decelerating after warming up.
	By the time that I had gotten home, my wife told me that she could
hear the car going by the house from inside!  Having never heard a
Corvair, she wasn't sure what it was until I walked in the door.  This
is a little more aggressive than the normal Corvair sound (loud).
Also, the transmission is kicking when it shifts up or down although it
seems to occasionally, but not always, shift from low to drive in a
"normal" fashion.  It had been constantly shifting early at about
400-600 rpm every time after it warmed up.
	Well, now it's safe in the garage until I can inspect it again
tomorrow morning and try to clean up the lubricant that has been slung
all over my new engine compartment.  I was going to take the car to
it's first club meeting tomorrow, but now I'm not so sure (another
forty mile round trip).
	The lubricant rising out from the space between the bearing and the
axis would indicate??? (We repacked it last Saturday after we noticed
that it was spitting up lubricant and this was its first running since
then).  The knocking that starts after warming up would be ??? (oil
good and clean, half way between full and add) and the transmission
kicking like a horse is due to  (fluid level checked a little high, but
has a new modulator, clean screen, new gasket and fluid) ???

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (now closer to 112)
Sierra Tan (originally, currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, w/ 77K
(for now)
(Out of group red for the first time in twelve years!  ... and perhaps
headed back :( )