<VV> engine lid support

Marc Sheridan sheridanma@adelphia.net
Sat, 06 Nov 2004 12:56:00 -0500

Joe,
I tried your magnet test and sure enough, the magnet stuck to my shiny
engine lid support. So then I went on to test other things. The magnet
was attracted to all the stainless trim from my Corvair, that is now in
a pile in the garage while my car is in the body shop. After that I
headed to the kitchen, the magnet would not stick to my stainless steel
sink. From that, I could have decided that the magnet test is valid and
the trim on my car is not stainless, but I searched out a pan that had
"stainless steel" stamped right in it. The magnet stuck!

So now my conclusion is that many stainless steel items, like Corvair
trim parts, are not 100 per cent stainless, but an alloy that has enough
regular steel in it to be attracted to a magnet. Is my conclusion correct?

Marc Sheridan