<VV> More convertibles??

airvair airvair@richnet.net
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 11:09:52 -0500

While I don't know what the actual numbers are of cars that survived and
their body styles, I'd say that as a SURVIVAL RATE the convertables are
probably the hands-down winners. That's because "everyone saves
convertables" because of their potential collector value. For the same
reason, regretably, people tend to use up and scrap out the 4doors. But
then if everyone was rational about cars instead of emotional, it would
be the other way around. For the record, though, I think that what you
observed is more a matter of convertables making better show vehicles
than hardtops. It's the hardtops that are most prevalent overall, simply
because they made so many of them. For any given model line, they made
roughly 9 coupes to 3 4doors to 2 convertables. This is evident in the
'67 model figures (my favorite year) and, I think, doesn't seem to vary
much for other years (though I haven't closely compared numbers.)

-Mark C (4door lover)