<VV> Auto Trans help-no Corvair

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:18:27 -0500

Folks,

            My 98 Chrys Sebring LXI auto trans (A604), after rebuilding by
experienced Chrysler/Dodge mechanic-Chrys- trained is slipping when it warms
up.  The trans tech checked all pressures, pump, put about $500 bucks worth
of new parts and the damn thing has been in and out of the car twice. The
Chrys Sebring Cpe (L body) of that year is a Mitsubishi V6 (As evidenced by
Mitsu ID plate on firewall, etc.   The convertible-a J body is Chrysler).

Flushed cooler, tried two different pumps.  Even tried reversing lines to
cooler to make sure no obstruction.  Ruling out a bad torque convertor,
because reverse works fine.

We have installed a complete overhaul kit, new pump, new convertor, and
solenoid pack.  Seems to shift good cold, slips in forward gears when warmed
up.  Once it gets hot, it slips in first and then goes in Limp In mode and
then slips in Second.  Once trans sees Gear Ratio Error it goes into Limp-in
mode, it stays in second.  Speed sensor readings are correct.  Reverse is
good.

Never get it going beyond second because it is in Limp-in mode and we didn't
want to burn up the trans (our new parts).

What goes bad when the trans gets hot?

Chuck