<VV> carb issues

slmizel@juno.com slmizel@juno.com
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 19:42:17 GMT

I am trying to sinc my carbs on my '65 140 (well, I am actually more of a passive participant -- I have Bob Bauer helping me...umm, I mean doing it for me and trying to explain it as he goes).  We ran into a strange problem and I thought I would see if I could get some guidance from the group.  We just completed a clutch assembly replacement and put the drive train back in the car.  Before the work, the car ran ok, but it lacked normal power and had crazy timing (46 degrees advanced).  Bob decided that someone had taken the distributor out and put it back in incorrectly...so we removed and adjusted the distributor correctly.  We then moved on to sinc'ing the carbs.  Bob tested the vacuum choke controls on the primary carbs and they were fine (as well as the vacuum advance on the distributor).  We hooked up the vacuum gauge to both carbs and sinc'ed them according to the '65 shop manual specs (within one inch if I remember correctly, but remember that I was the observer).  The timing was correct and the carbs were sinc'ed but we could not get the idle even...we found that the driver's side primary carb had a vacuum leak (we could place a hand over the top and the engine would not noticeably stumble and we could hear a hissing sound) -- so we traded the carb out for one on the shelf that we knew worked well in its previous application (and found out in the process that the carb did not have its paper gaskets on the base), but when installed proved to be impossible to sinc  and the engine ran rough...so we put the original carb back on with gaskets (solving the vacuum leak) and sinc'ed the carbs successfully, rechecked the timing (set to around 18 degrees advanced), and found it would idle very well (at about 850) but now started intermittent back firing and stumbling out of the driver's side!  That is where we had to leave off last night, but I would like to impress Bob with my knowledge of possible things to do -- so I am asking if anyone has any suggestions?  Sorry for the length, but I have learned to give detail.

Steve Mizel, St. Louis
CORSA, Show-Me CC
'65 Corsa Vert 140/4 (off the jack stands but not quite back on the road)