<VV> Resurrection blues

Stephen Upham contactsmu@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:08:57 -0600

	Today's news.  I had the day off to take care of a traffic ticket.  I
was caught red handed doing 70 in a 60 this summer.  After waiting
about two hours, the case was dismissed. :)  I came right home and
began to take the Resurrection apart.  I emptied the oil first and felt
through it feeling for shavings and felt nothing.  :)  I then took off
the oil pan and found lots of metal shavings at the bottom of the pan.
:(  I proceeded to take off the top shroud and the crankcase cover.
The bolts securing the cover were not very tight.  Is that a normal way
to find them?  When I examined the crankcase, it seemed that it was
perfectly intact.  I manually turned the crank 720 and watched and
listened.  Nothing peculiar happened.  Perhaps in my inexperience, I'm
missing something, but everything seemed normal. :)  I then stupidly
dropped a cover bolt into the crankcase. :(!!! I retrieved the bolt
using a combination of retractable magnet and snake pinchers. :)!!!
	I immediately put the cover back on and secured it with two bolts to
prevent recurrences!  I proceeded to take off the valve covers.  The
right side came off easily.  The rockers seem to be ok and the part of
the push rods that I can see seem straight and seated properly. :)
There were more shavings and the lead colored oil on the bottom of the
head under the rockers. :(  I took off the other valve cover on the
left side.  The top bolt on the left broke off at the head. :(!  When I
got the cover off, I noticed that there was about 1/4 inch of the bolt
threads exposed, and I should be able to get the rest out without
drilling it. :)!!  There were shavings and the lead colored oil on this
side also. :(   The rockers seem ok on this side, although the one
closest to the vent grill is very loose (perhaps because of the stage
of the stroke?) They are seated properly and the rods seem to be ok as
far as I can see.
	Now, what should I be paying attention to while looking into the
crankcase if I'm trying to diagnose a blown rod bearing or main
bearing?  What is my next step?
	 Is this something I likely did to myself by not paying close enough
attention on the drive home, pushing it too hard during the break-in,
or does this occasionally happen to the best of rebuilds?

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (now closer to 112)
Sierra Tan (originally, currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, w/ 77K
(and holding)
(Back in group red : ( )