<VV> Resurrection

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj@unm.edu
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:28:09 -0700 (MST)

Hi Stephen,
Sorry to hear that.  I would guess that those shavings are bearing bits.
What you need to do is take each rod cap off and look at the bearings.  A
pain and a hassle and be carefull not to drop those cap nuts into the
crankcase.  Of
course you cant tell easily  if it is a main but odds are higher it is a
rod.   Before pulling the caps you can
grab each rod and push up and down on it and see if it is loose - one
will (likely but not for sure, you need to look at them) have a lot more
play then the others if it is bad.  When you
did the rebuild, did you have the big ends of the connecting rods
re-sized?  They do get egg shaped over the years, and throwing new
bearings in to rods that are distorted will cause them to go.  It is
something that is often not stressed enough when rebuilding but is
important.  Machine shop here only charges 5$ a rod to do this and it is
money well spent. I saw 2 thousandths distortion on my rods on my engine
that lost a bearing.
HTH
Geoff Johnson