<VV> The Value of Posting

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:25:33 -0500

9 times out of 10 when I respond to a question, I POST my answer, rather
than sending it as a private message. I really only send a private message
when I feel the reply simply couldn't have any value to anyone else on the
list.
     Out of those 9 times I post, I screw up LOTS of times, in one way or
another. I say stuff that just isn't so, quite aside from the dubiousness of
some of my wilder theories (offered AS SUCH, I hope - wild theories, that
is). I DON'T do this on purpose, although it might seem to some that I do.
     Because I posted, others can correct my mistakes. Of those who correct
me, some discreetly use private messages, which saves me some embarrassment.
But doing this deprives not only me, but hapless third-party readers of the
list, of the corrections. Fortunately, at least SOME other people POST their
corrections of my garbage, and we're ALL grateful to them for doing so (I
say ALL, because the only one who might not be would be me, and I AM
grateful).
     So, I say, when you're answering a question, don't hide under a private
message. POST your replies - people who aren't interested will rely on your
well-crafted subject line to skip over your post. And when you have a
correction (especially when you're correcting ME), POST your correction. And
when someone happens to correct something you said that was wrong, or
incomplete, take it in good grace as advancing the best interests of
Corvairdom.
     And when someone makes a mistake correcting you, by all means rebut -
this makes for the most interesting discussions. I have had no opportunity
to rebut recent corrections of me. I was wrong. Will be again, too. The list
does a GOOD job policing itself this way.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C (I think)