<VV> Re: Manual operation of fuel pump (was Jogging Fuel Pump)

Robert Hawley iamrgh@charter.net
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:27:26 -0500

    Howdy all.
After reading the recent string of posts I confess to being a bit confused on
this issue of utilizing the fuel pump manually to get gas to the carbs.
Earlier this year, I was advised several times on this BB to use the fuel pump
manually to prime the YH carb after it had been sitting to reduce the time
that the engine has to crank to pull fuel from the tank. No one at that time
mentioned possible damage to the pump.  When resurrecting my Spyder (after a 3
year hiatus), I loosened the pump and pushed it until the gas filled the carb
bowl.  I admit to not being aware that the pump rod stroke supplied by the
engine was so short.  The car still works so I can guess that I didn't totally
ruin the pump (original as far as I know).   Is the advice to hand pump now
incorrect?  Are there any alternatives to make it easier to get gas to the
carb after non-use (please no electric fuel pump discussion - lol) or was the
main point that care is indicated in manually using the pump so as not to
damage the pump diaphragm ?  If so, how does one "carefully" utilize the pump
by hand?
    Thanks in advance, Robert Hawley (1963 Spyder convert)

Subject: <VV> Re:   Jogging Fuel Pump    Smitty says:  ......... That doesn't
change a thing in my belief that the potential for damage is there, when
stroking a pump by hand.