Better sockets, was Re: <VV> new teen driver

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:13:54 EST

In a message dated 11/12/04 2:42:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
akinzelm@greatnortherncorp.com writes:
During the safety inspection, the right rear turn signal failed to work.  I
was standing off to the side (observing), so I mentioned that 'older cars are
sometimes cantankerous' and asked if I could look at it.  A bit of wiggling &
it started working, & the tester passed it.  My daughter passed her test easily.
She has been driving it to school.  Although it is a beater (albeit good
running), she gets positive comments from her fellow students.
She also asked for some education so she can do some of the work on the car
herself.
Andy,
    Good place to start with that education is the Corvair Basics Manual.
Learning how to do tune-ups and how to check all the liquid levels is a good
beginning.
    Regarding the erratic tail light, I'm sure we can all sympathize with
your problem.  Unfortunately, the Corvair used only 2 wire leads depending on
rather tenuous grounding through the socket of the bulb to replace the 3rd wire.
While this might have worked OK 40 years ago, it's not too reliable NOW.  The
answer is to convert the sockets to THREE wire ones so that the ground has
its own separate wire.  The best socket I have found is the Calterm #08543 for
about $3.50 made in Taiwan.  While it's specified for the Ford, it fits our LM
Corvairs just fine.  You will have to establish a separate body ground
connection for the grounding wire by using a sheet metal screw into the metal near
the tail light.  Do not use the Conduct-Tite #85860 unit (from China) available
from some shops at the same price.  It fits loosely and does not seem as well
made as the Calterm.
    Good luck with your new driver in the family.
    Frank Burkhard