<VV> the Find

RKAT edbaloo@verizon.net
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:01:59 -0500

:clapping:  Very nice! She's gonna love driving that home..

Ron Tinkham

http://www.ronsjeepjunk.4t.com/

Pine Tree Corvairs (in the works)

66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp

Maine

I have been commissioned to evaluate a Corvair to settle an estate. This
was
the preverbal 'car stashed in a barn', except it wasn't a barn, but a
lovely
attached garage in the upscale neighborhood of Crofton, MD. Car had been
stored for the past 20 years, the '83 tags attested to that. The tires
were,
of course, completely flat, but the bead hadn't been broken and they
pumped
up just fine. Body on this '66 Monza coupe was perfect, with NO rust
anywhere. The Ermine white was as applied from the factory. The red
vinyl
interior looked as if it came from Clarks and installed yesterday, but
no,
it was origional. Solid trunk with beautiful spatter paint unsoiled by
spills or grungy car parts.
Underneath was a different story. The gas tank had leaked (surprise) and
whatever the tank was painted with, looked like wrinkle paint from
reacting
with the stale gas. The brakes were rock hard. Clarks trombone exhaust
was
rotted out, and the thermostats had failed. But that was it on the
initial
looksee. The rollback was positioned, loaded and away we went,heading
toward
I-95.
Upon unloading in Perryman, I had a chance to go over the car a little
more.
The engine oil apparently had been changed upon storage, as it was a
perfect
clear yellow. The shocks appear fine, but the sway bar was MISSING.
Rummaging around in the papers provided; there was an ORIGINAL Corsa
Communique. It wasn't called a 'Communique', but the Corvair Society of
America newsletter #2. Dated Dec '69. Started by a guy  named R.H.
Langworth
in Camp Hill, PA. out of his apartment.
The car will be gone over with a fine toothed comb to prepare it for
Albert
Phillips heirs to take back to Maine.
Stay tuned for further adventures.

Harry Yarnell