<VV> Re: [fastvair] Mini Convention

Hank Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:07:54 -0500

----- Original Message -----
Subject: <VV> Re: [fastvair] Mini Convention

> In a message dated 11/14/04 10:38:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> dfgiannotti@webtv.net writes:
>
> << Iowa got screwed on their bid for the Convention anyhow....Just look at
> the stats, they offered a very attractive package.. >>
> Agreed.

Folks
I have heard this sentiment before, and I am not impuning either Dan or
Warren for their feelings.

In fact, before Detroit got their bid, they were turned down at least twice
that I know of, and possibly more.
In my mind, Detroit, the Nazareth of the US Auto industry, should not have
been treated in this way. But after you spend some time with Harry talking
about this, there are SO many factors that come into play.

There have been several IMO good bids for a Convention in New Orleans.
Having lived there myself, I can assure you all it is a wonderful place to
visit (esp. for such an event), but I consider it NO place to live.

     And what keeps the bid from being accepted?? IMO,  It's always the
price of the rooms. The innate frugality of Corvair owners prohibits all of
us from enjoying all of what New Orleans has to offer the conventioneer.
IMO, that's a tragedy.  New Orleans has no space for people too frugal to
stay in a room to park their camper.  And there are no campgrounds within 40
miles of the downtown area that I am aware of.  So we will likely never see
New Orleans for a National.

    IMO Iowa likely didn't get screwed.  What likely was the case was that
Detroit had more of the factors that matter in line, and Iowa didn't. That
is usually what makes the difference in who gets the bid. I believe that
there is a track nearby that makes the Iowa location exceptional to the auto
x ers amongst us, but that is only one factor to be considered.
Profitablility is probably the number one priority. I don't see CORSA taking
a hit in the financial shorts to make any group(s) of its owners happy on a
National Convention site.  I am sure Harry would be happy to let anyone who
cares to know what the "hot and short" list of variables are.

Regards
HANK