<VV> Value of '68 500 FS (very long)

Dale Dewald dkdewald@pasty.net
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:43:25 -0500

Hello Folks,

The most interesting things happen in the Corvair hobby. This was certainly
the case on Friday.

Several weeks ago an older gentleman stopped by our house and asked about
getting his Corvair repaired.  He was having difficulty getting it to run
and thought that some part of the AIR system had failed and was causing the
problem.  He said (pretty sure) the car was a '68 and he needed a pair of
AIR exhaust manifolds because the old one's were rusted out, but Clark's
didn't have them.  I explained the engine did not really need the AIR
system to run and that he could disconnect and plug the AIR and fit regular
manifolds just to get it running if need be.  He thanked me and said he
might consider selling the car also and if I was interested.  I was not
really looking for another project and left it at that.

Last week he visited again and said he was getting too old to work on the
car and would like to sell it.  He asked if I could look at it and help him
determine the value.  At this point I was thinking it was maybe a $100
parts car.  He told me where it was in a garage and that I could take a
look anytime.  I had an hour free on Friday so I called to look at the car.

What I found was an original 1968 Corvair 500 with only 59,000 garage kept
miles.  The fellow is the second owner and had bought it from his neighbor
some 20 years ago in Toledo.  He had apparently brought it up to his place
here in the Upper Peninsula (only 7 miles away from me) to use as a summer
car, and stored it while he spent the winters in Toledo.  It was kind of an
amazing that it had been here all of those years and I had never seen
it.  If it had not been for some minor collision damage and an Earl Scheib
paint job this car would be a candidate for factory stock original in CORSA
Concourse.  Here is a rundown of the car's features and condition:

1968 Corvair 500 coupe, 95/PG, body color T-T (Palomino Ivory), green-gold
interior.  The only factory option I could find other than the Powerglide
was tinted glass all around. (???)  No radio--a real stripper.  The body
has some poorly repaired areas on the right side from a very minor side
swipe by another vehicle or against an object, but is totally solid.  The
left front fender and door were creased by a parking lot hit and run--also
poorly repaired.  The only rust is on the driver side front fender wheel
opening roll immediately below the gas filler door (starting to bubble
through) and a bubbly area under the driver's footwell.  The interior is
complete and in nice shape, including the rubber floor "carpets."  There is
a 4" tear in the driver side seat back (stitched together) and sun damage
to the top panel of the rear seat back.  The trunk was filled with boxes of
parts, but I could see that it was in perfect condition; likewise the trunk
weatherstripping.  The engine compartment was very clean. All of the AIR
system was intact and appeared to be in working order.  The owner had
rebuilt the carbs with help from his brother-in-law.  They got the car to
run, but not well, then could not get it to start again.  I found the
balance tube hoses and a couple other vacuum lines that were brick hard.  I
suspect that vacuum leaks are preventing the car from running.  Judging
from the bottom of the engine, it must also have the original pushrod tube
O-rings.

The owner is leaving for Toledo for the winter this week.  He would like to
sell the car next spring.  I would like to get some opinions from the group
(maybe I am too honest) as to what would be a fair value for this car.  The
owner has given me first refusal for purchase of the car, but I cannot
realistically exercise this option because I have neither the storage area
or time to work on it (besides my other Corvair projects).  Therefore if
anyone In Vairdom might be interested I could act as an agent or liaison
for the sale.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI