<VV> Value of '68 500 FS / reality

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr@mindspring.com
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:06:49 -0500

Hey Dale, For $10 to $15,000 you or someone else could take the
car and restore it to a concours Corvair. However since the paint
would not be the original you would have a Factory Stock, Restored
classification, not Factory Stock, Original. Then the car would probably
sell for $7500 to $9500 on e-Bay because it's a "stripper". Now based
on these figures, what should someone offer the owner. My guess is
$2500 to $3000 max.

Chuck Armer
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
At 11:43 PM 11/15/04 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello Folks,
>
>The most interesting things happen in the Corvair hobby. This was
>certainly the case on Friday.
>
>Several weeks ago an older gentleman stopped by our house and asked about
>getting his Corvair repaired.  He was having difficulty getting it to run
>and thought that some part of the AIR system had failed and was causing
>the problem.  He said (pretty sure) the car was a '68 and he needed a pair
>of AIR exhaust manifolds because the old one's were rusted out, but
>Clark's didn't have them.  I explained the engine did not really need the
>AIR system to run and that he could disconnect and plug the AIR and fit
>regular manifolds just to get it running if need be.  He thanked me and
>said he might consider selling the car also and if I was interested.  I
>was not really looking for another project and left it at that.
>
>Last week he visited again and said he was getting too old to work on the
>car and would like to sell it.  He asked if I could look at it and help
>him determine the value.  At this point I was thinking it was maybe a $100
>parts car.  He told me where it was in a garage and that I could take a
>look anytime.  I had an hour free on Friday so I called to look at the car.
>
>What I found was an original 1968 Corvair 500 with only 59,000 garage kept
>miles.  The fellow is the second owner and had bought it from his neighbor
>some 20 years ago in Toledo.  He had apparently brought it up to his place
>here in the Upper Peninsula (only 7 miles away from me) to use as a summer
>car, and stored it while he spent the winters in Toledo.  It was kind of
>an amazing that it had been here all of those years and I had never seen
>it.  If it had not been for some minor collision damage and an Earl Scheib
>paint job this car would be a candidate for factory stock original in
>CORSA Concourse.  Here is a rundown of the car's features and condition:
>
>1968 Corvair 500 coupe, 95/PG, body color T-T (Palomino Ivory), green-gold
>interior.  The only factory option I could find other than the Powerglide
>was tinted glass all around. (???)  No radio--a real stripper.  The body
>has some poorly repaired areas on the right side from a very minor side
>swipe by another vehicle or against an object, but is totally solid.  The
>left front fender and door were creased by a parking lot hit and run--also
>poorly repaired.  The only rust is on the driver side front fender wheel
>opening roll immediately below the gas filler door (starting to bubble
>through) and a bubbly area under the driver's footwell.  The interior is
>complete and in nice shape, including the rubber floor "carpets."  There
>is a 4" tear in the driver side seat back (stitched together) and sun
>damage to the top panel of the rear seat back.  The trunk was filled with
>boxes of parts, but I could see that it was in perfect condition; likewise
>the trunk weatherstripping.  The engine compartment was very clean. All of
> [...]

Corvair Atlanta, BOD
CORSA MEMBER
CORSA Tri-Membership Chairman
http://carmerjr.home.mindspring.com/