Turbo Mileage - was Re: <VV> Insurance / MPG

Norman C. Witte ncwitte@wittelaw.com
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:31:24 -0500

snip

In order to get reasonable mileage with a turbo Corvair driven on the
street, you need to include a vacuum advance.  When I did this years ago on
my turbo 180 that I was driving to work every day, the mileage went up from
18 mpg to 22 mpg AND the part throttle acceleration improved considerably.
How else can you "have your cake and eat it too"??  Detail on
how to accomplish this are described in the Turbocharging chapter of the
Corvair Basics Manual.

snip

Frank, I was actually reading p 151 of the Basics Manual today, and I was a
little confused.  I have a whole lot of questions, like:

*	Is there a need to run both the Dale pressure retard/vac advance with a
Safeguard?
*	Do you run a vacuum advance with a Safeguard at all?
*	Would it be desireable to use a Safeguard with a Pertronix?
*	I or II?
*	Could a setup like this benefit from running a 95 hp distributor?  Or is
that necessary?

Thanks,

Norm Witte