<VV> Answers on Questions Re: Turbo Mileage

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:25:43 EST

Hi Norm,
    Sorry I didn't make it clearer in the Corvair Basics Manual.  What you
need is to provide vacuum advance (similar to every non-turbo Corvair) while
also having provision for retarding the ignition timing when the engine goes into
boost (as in the stock turbo 150/180 engine).  This can be accomplished in a
number of ways.  One is to use a Dale vacuum advance/pressure retard unit (but
add a means of shutting off the vacuum advance at idle.)  Strictly speaking,
since the Dale provides the pressure retard, you don't really NEED the
SafeGuard to accomplish the same thing.  However, the SafeGuard is a vastly more
sophisticated means of having pressure retard, since it can retard only those
specific cylinders that are exhibiting knocking/detonation and not ALL the
cylinders as the Dale does.  The SafeGuard also has provision for a dashboard
indication of how much retard is being provided so it is ideal for use in setting up
a water injection system to flow only enough water to just suppress
detonation.  Since it responds virtually instantly, the SafeGuard can also "fill in the
gap" until the water can actually start flowing into the engine.
    Another way of having vacuum advance/pressure retard is to replace the
stock 150/180 pressure retard "pot" with a vacuum advance "pot" from a normally
aspirated (NA) Corvair.  But you still need to add a retard device that will
retard the timing when the engine goes into boost.  The SafeGuard is the best
for this job, although other EKE (electronic knock eliminators) are also
available which may be less expensive, but, unlike the SafeGuard, operate in an
analog manner and retard the timing of ALL cylinders when knocking/detonation is
detected.  This latter setup is what I used many years ago before the SafeGuard
became available.  The problem of using an NA vacuum advance unit is where to
connect the vacuum line.  Unfortunately, the stock Corvair YH turbo carbs
(unlike the Nash and early Corvette YHs) do NOT have a ported vacuum advance hole
drilled and tapped in the throttle body.  I my case, I replaced my 180
throttle body with one from a Nash/Corvette and connected the vacuum advance "pot"
to its ported vacuum advance hole.  An alternative would be to connect the
vacuum advance line to the intake manifold and add a vacuum solenoid to the line.
Use a microswitch located in the throttle linkage to open the solenoid valve
only when the throttle plate moves above idle speed.  This will shut off the
vacuum advance at idle, but bring it in as soon as the throttle begins opening,
exactly as happens in the NA Corvairs which do use ported vacuum advance from
their downdraft Rochesters.
    As far as using a SafeGuard with a Petronix, I think that would be an
excellent combination.  The Petronix corrects for the wear in the stock
distributor since it doesn't depend on physical contact between the distributor cam and
the points.  Therefore, the Petronix will fire a cylinder every 120
crankshaft degrees while the points in a worn stock distributor will tend to fire each
cylinder a few degrees early or late due to bushing wear.  You'll notice this
with a smoother idle, as we did when we installed one on son Jim's purple
Corsavertible a few years ago at a national convention.  The Petronix II can
handle a much larger primary current flow so you can use it with lower resistance
ignition coils, like the Flamethrower 2 that has only 0.6 ohms resistance.
This comes in handy particularly if you run high boost levels which put a heavy
load on the ignition system.
    As far as changing the distributor, if you look at the specs for the
65/66 180 distributor shown in the shop manuals, you'll find that the timing is
FIXED until 4000 rpm at which point the centrifugal advance STARTS, or until
boost rises above 2.25 psi at which point the pressure retard begins.  So in
normal street driving, the stock distributor operates at CONSTANT timing for most
of the time (thus the big improvement resulting from the addition of vacuum
advance).  While I have no experience with having done so, I suspect that a
changeover to a 95 hp distributor would also make some improvement.  Does anyone
have any actual experience with doing this?  By the way, the 95 hp distributors
for standard trans and for PG have different centrifugal advance specs, the
manual trans one is 0 deg. at 700 rpm and peaks out at 28 deg. at 4200 rpm
while the PG one is 0 deg. at 1700 rpm and peaks out at 20 deg. at 4200 rpm.
    Can anyone else add some more info to this discussion?
    Frank "finally running out of words" Burkhard

In a message dated 11/15/04 1:42:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,