<VV> Re: the find

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:28:14 -0500

On Nov 16, 2004, at 5:43 PM, Harry Yarnell wrote:

> Well, well, well; what do we have here? Metallic brakes. And a Watkins
> Glen
> padock sticker in the windshield from 1971. Do we have a closet racer
> here?
> The question I ask here is, should the metallic shoes (which are in
> good
> shape) be reused, or converted over to conventional shoes. The piece
> is to
> be used as a fair weather driver. I have no experience with these
> shoes, and
> I vaguely remember that there was an issue with them cold, but worked
> great
> hot. Comments please?

I've run real metallic VelvaTouch brakes for several years now. I don't
even notice that they don't work quite as well when they're cold. It's
not an issue to me, essentially an old wives tale - or maybe old racers
tale. If I had it to do again, I'd probably try some of the new
"Kevlar" linings which, I presume allow you to keep the self-adjusters.
You have to remove them when you use the metallics. That's the only
thing that bothers me; you have to adjust then manually, like all cars
used to be. In fact, right now my right rear is too tight; they need to
be adjusted.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina