<VV> No Reverse (additional info and questions)

Ewell Mills emills5@cfl.rr.com
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:12:36 -0500

The 4 speed transmission in my 67 has always been hard to get in reverse since
I purchased the car a year or so ago. (has been code red most of this time
being restored).  I rebuilt the shift tube using Clark's bronze bushing kit,
and replaced the pin in the coupler (forked part that attaches to the
transmission shift shaft).  Coupler (may not be right name...but the part that
is vulcanized) is good, with no play.  I have adjusted everything several
times with no improvement.  The shifter will turn the shift shaft when pushed
to the left from neutral, but when pushing forward on the shifter, it will not
go into reverse. (All forward gears work O.K.)  It feels as though something
is keeping the shift shaft from pushing the shaft on the transmission into the
transmission.  I tried putting a small phillips screwdriver through the hole
in the transmission shift shaft, and found that it is almost impossible to
move the shaft in and out of the transmission.  How hard should this shaft be
to move in and out with it disconnected from the shift shaft? Should it move
in and out fairly easily?  Should the clutch be held in to move the shaft in
and out?  What should I try next?  Is it possible to go in through the side
plate and fix what-ever is binding, or am I going to have to pull the
transmission to work on it.  I have pulled complete drive trains several
times, but have never pulled a transmission with the drive train in the car.
Any and all advice or suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.
67 Monza 110 w/4 Speed transmission.