<VV> Re: Turbo set up--was mileage

Frank F Parker fparker@umich.edu
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:57:00 -0500 (EST)

> are great ideas, but I am mainly looking to make a car that will be nice to
> drive all summer, and maybe to be a shade quicker to build boost.
>
> So you're right about the tangled web.

Biggest problem with the stock setup was Chevy had to use intake and
exhaust restrictions to limit boost since cheap enough wastegates were not
available back then. Everything especially exhaust leaks have to be
perfect to run as intended. Carb mods, different turbines like 150 can be
used to help spool but these are all small change compared to adding an
external wastegate. Then other simple changes that would have overboosted
the engine, now will help the spool alot and any excess is vented.

Water injection or a Safeguard are the 2nd major item.
Thus adding a wastegate and WI or Safeguard are the 2 big things to do.

Warren has done all this and you could have him fab it for you and tune it
in. Do NOT neglet the tuning!

regards,

frank

PS: Doing the full blown setup next spring on my new Corsa 180