<VV> Turbo Setup

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:45:46 EST

Gentlemen,

I have been following this train with great interest as I am building two
turbos.  As far as waste gates, it is my understanding that they are not
practical on the existing Corvair setup because the carb is upstream in the flow.  As
I understand it, a waste gate needs to be between the compressor and the point
where fuel enters the system otherwise, you will be venting air/fuel mixture.
 That would get interesting pretty quickly.  If I understand things, you
would need to change pretty much all of the Corvair intake components to do this
as well as mods to the exhaust side of things.  Am I correct?  As I see it a
reasonable compromise between the stock unit and an intercooler is the addition
of a water/alcohol injector.

Norm, my personal opinion on the pistons is that it is a good idea to use
forged or hypereutectic pistons in a 164 cid engine that may see heavy use.  This
would include turbos as well as 140s.  This is cheap insurance especially if
you are replacing the pistons anyway.  JMHO

Doc