<VV> Cleaning Engine Lid Insulation

Phil Fairman hoscale@paonline.com
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:44:44 -0500

Sam & Marissa wrote:

Hi everyone
We taking off our engine lid insulation so the lid can be painted.   It is
in excellent condition but dirty, can anyone tell us how to clean it without
causing any damage?

There are two paths to follow here, first, to clean...If your insulation is
relatively intact, you can use the following method: Lay the insulation on a
flat, hard surface (I used a sheet of plywood) using a spray bottle of Simple
Green, give it a good soaking. wait a minute or two, then BLOT with wads of
cheap paper towels, just push down hard enough to let the Simple Green soak
into the towel wad. Repeat this several times, until the insulation looks
clean, It helps if you do this in the sun to speed drying, although the Simple
Green dries quite fast. A caution here, if the insulation has started to come
apart, it will end up on your cylinder fins and in your heater.(Don't ask how
I know this) Second, just order the replacement insulation (non-molded) from
Clark's along with the fender insulation, looks nice and stock unless you are
competing in one of the stock catagories no one will notice.  If you are doing
this on a '65, order the plastic insulation clips to replace the metal ones
used in '65. The clips can be removed easily using the upholstery removal
tool. Clark's announced a year or so ago that they were planning to repro the
moulded insulation, so if you call them, indicate an interest in this,
hopefully Cal will eventually do this.

Cheers,
Phil Fairman
'66 Monza 110/pg