<VV> Are Turbo Vairs worth having?

JVHRoberts@aol.com JVHRoberts@aol.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:17:09 EST

Actually, it was at a drag strip. Turned in the low 13s overall. If it had a
modern turbo, which would have a LOT less lag, that 0-60 time would have
improved a LOT.
Also keep in mind that even an LM Corvair weighs a LOT less than the cars you
mention, and has MUCH better traction.
By the way, a 50% bump on a turbo engine is very easy to do. Just add boost.
On an NA engine, you're right, it's tough to do. But then again, I have a
300ZX twin turbo making well over 400 HP with a 181 CID engine that's essentially
stock except for the chip upgrade, air cleaner, and exhaust. And it turns high
12s!
The Corvair turbo engines came from the factory with modest power ratings
because of the small valve heads, the TINY carb, and a restrictive muffler.
A Jag 2" SU took care of the carb, the 140 heads help breathing a LOT, and
the lack of a muffler (still not as loud as I thought it would have been,
there's that turbine muffler for ya!) helped breathing IMMENSELY. And it pulled like
a freight train until I pinned the tach past 6 grand, where a stock 180 would
have been gasping for breath.

In a message dated 11/21/2004 7:14:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,