<VV> engine rebuilder

Mike Stillwell yenko117@yahoo.com
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:49:42 -0800 (PST)

 Rebuilt is a word that can encompass a million
different meanings, when it comes to a Corvair engine,
especially a 140. I wouldn't dare trust a Corvair
engine to anyone other than a well known Corvair shop
with a good reputation. You might pay 2000 for a
reseal, with new rings and bearings, then pay that
plus more to a more knowledgable Corvair mechanic to
fix what the other "rebuilder" did to it, when it
fails.
 140's (and turbo's) need to have close attention paid
to the pistons and heads. A machinist not familiar
with what wear patterns and defects to look for can
easily miss a problem that will quickly destroy a
motor.

 Mike
 YS-117

--- "Landis, Art MR" <arthur.landis@us.army.mil>