<VV> SNIMTA_SPAM Re

Dave Morris BigD@DaveMorris.com
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:53:35 -0600

I have to chime in here, because this may be some encouragement for you.

A bunch of us airplane builders are "rebuilding" Corvair engines to go into
our airplanes.  What we're doing is buying new cams, lifters, pistons,
rings, gaskets, seals, etc., and letting the pro vendors do the valve jobs,
cylinder boring, crank regrinding, etc.  Thus for $1900 you probably could
actually have an engine that is "rebuilt", not just "overhauled".  And the
interesting part is that there are a lot of these guys who are digging up
140 and 95 engines that we cannot use in our airplanes (we stick to the LM
110).  So our two groups should stay in touch, because there may be some
meshing of interests.  (I put out a request for anybody with a 95 smog head
and had a reply within 5 minutes.  Anybody need one?)

William Wynne (www.FlyCorvair.com) publishes a manual on converting the 110
engine to aircraft use, and armed with that, the Shop Manual, the Finch
book How to Keep your Corvair Alive, and a support group like this one,
you've got most of what you need to rebuild the engine, even if you've
never done it before.  Take a look at the photos on the FlyCorvair.com page
for the "Corvair College #8" and you'll see just how many people are
rebuilding engines.

Dave Morris
www.DaveMorris.com/Dave/DFly.html