<VV> 63 Spyder Ingnition

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:31:42 -0800

At 11:08 hours 11/23/2004 -0800, bmooers@farniente.com wrote:
>Only received one reponse about puff of smoke  and burning smell from the
>balast resistor on my 63 Spyder. Does anyone know why this may be
>happening? I have replaced plugs, wires, points. condensor, coil, and
>resistor. Wiring seems to be correct -
>yellow to + coil, black to - coil, brown to resistor, brown from resistor
>to + coil, condensor to + coil, black from Dist to - coil.

Sounds like the ballast resistor had a "hot spot" inside where the wire
(nichrome wire resistor) was attached to a terminal lug, caused it to
eventually heat up and burn in half, pufffasmoke.   It was old...  go
figger.

>I have not started the car yet, just want to be sure everything is set
>before doing so.

Give it a shot, and watch things, although I don't think you'll have any
problems.

tony..