<VV> RE: "MUST be an overhaul"

UltraMonzaWest@aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:58:15 EST

In a message dated 11/23/2004 11:38:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
srmarti@netzero.net writes:

> Is there really an accepted or "legal" definition of an overhaul or a
> rebuild?
>
> As I see it, it's a problem of semantics.  One must know what's accomplished
> during an overhaul, rebuild, or remanufacture.  The actual work is what
> matters, not what you call it.

*************************

In the trades it is still:

Overhaul =  replace all replaceable parts , grind valves , NO MACHINING!

Rebuild =   All the above with all WEAR SURFACES re-machined...so   bearings
/ pistons MUST be repalced.

Re-manufacture =    All the above PLUS  all dimensions brought back to
original!  Nothing under/oversized.

NOTE:  things on Corvairs like the oil pump/ blower bearing, idler bearing,
distributor bushing /plate, etc.  are up to the owner/shop.

The reason no one overhauls any more [ shops]  LABOR is too much....

Rebuilds /re-mans are usually done in large shops with cheap labor!   An
"engine assembler"  is NOT a mechanic /Technician!

Matt Mall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Chairman V V
Somewhere between Reno, Nv.  and Coos Bay, Or.