<VV> NEED HELP

Larry Forman Larry@Forman.net
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:47:09 -0800

At 12:33 PM 11/26/2004 -0500, monza65@localnet.com wrote:
>I'm replacing the long cylinder studs in my block because of rust at the
>end of thestuds. As usual, Murphy's Law, I have two that I can't get out.
>One broke
>off atabout three inches long. I've treated it with penetrating catalyst
>hopeing
>for someluck.
>
>I need suggestions from someone who has had experience with the same
>problem.  Oneis a blind hole and one is a thru hole. BIG QUESTION: can I
>put the halves
>backtogether, torque it down and apply some heat to the thread area, or is
>that a greatbig NO NO. Does anyone have any ideas????
>
>Thanks,
>Pete Inman
>DACC

Hi Pete,
This is why most experts recommend leaving these alone if you
can.  Personally, I ignore this good advice and remove them and install
TimeSerts.  Ray Sedman and TimeSert have slightly longer TimeSerts that are
perfect for this, but I have had good luck with the stock ones, that I
believe are 3/4 inch long.  To remove the stud end once broken off
typically requires using a torch.  This is tricky, since an OxyAcetylene
torch can melt the aluminum.  Maybe you will have good luck with a propane
torch and a stud remover.  Also you could weld a nut to the end of the stud
and that might help.  I would try that approach.

If you try TimeSerts, make very sure you take a die to thread chase the
interference threads of a stock head stud.  Otherwise it will bind up in
the newly installed Timesert and rip it out.  I can personally guarantee
this will happen and then you might have toasted the entire block.  If you
chase the threads, you will go through dies quickly, but once done, you can
relatively easily replace head studs.  I use Loctite to lock the studs once
installed.

Good luck with this.

-- Larry