<VV> Need a second opinion.

Jim Bannister jimster1@earthlink.net
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 01:08:14 -0800

Sorry for the bandwidth, but..Recently my local mechanic suggested that he
do the "Water Treatment" on my daughters 318 BMW.  He said that he let a
vacuum port on the intake manifold suck about two gallons of water through
the intake to jolt the accumulated crud loose.  It did seem to do the trick
and the car was able to pass smog testing now that it was de-carboned.  The
engine failed with a broken connecting rod less than 100 miles later.  Of
course, the rod knocked a big hole in the side of the block.  I suspect that
he got a bid heavy handed with the water and partially or completely
hydro-locked the motor.  Needless to say, this puts a real strain on the
rods.  I suspect that he probably bent one or more rods and this one was the
first to fail.  Does anyone see anything wrong with my thinking?  BTW, my
'66 turbovert is running better than ever thanks to Seth's wires. (Corvair
content)

Jim B.

'66 Turbovert