<VV> Need a second opinion.

UltraMonzaWest@aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:37:34 EST

In a message dated 11/28/2004 1:10:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jimster1@earthlink.net writes:

> Sorry for the bandwidth, but..Recently my local mechanic suggested that he
> do the "Water Treatment" on my daughters 318 BMW.  He said that he let a
> vacuum port on the intake manifold suck about two gallons of water through
> the intake to jolt the accumulated crud loose.  It did seem to do the trick
> and the car was able to pass smog testing now that it was de-carboned.  The
> engine failed with a broken connecting rod less than 100 miles later.  Of
> course, the rod knocked a big hole in the side of the block.  I suspect that
> he got a bid heavy handed with the water and partially or completely
> hydro-locked the motor.  Needless to say, this puts a real strain on the
> rods.  I suspect that he probably bent one or more rods and this one was the
> first to fail.  Does anyone see anything wrong with my thinking?  BTW, my
> '66 turbovert is running better than ever thanks to Seth's wires. (Corvair
> content)
>
> Jim B.

IMO  The engine was junk before....and I'm sure the oil was the late greart
5-30 wt.

Ask him if the engine ever stopped while doing it...if not..no problem!

Most use a bottle and control the flow visually / aurally

Others  have done it annally! LOL

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Chairman V V
Somewhere between Reno, NV.  and Coos Bay, Or.