<VV> trailer choices

Dale Dewald dkdewald@pasty.net
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:38:38 -0500

At 09:30 PM 11/28/04 -0500, Ed wrote:
>Throwing this out for discussion. If you guys were buying a new car trailer
>strickly to haul Corvairs what would it be? Would be towing with a 2004 Dodge
>Dakota V8, auto, 2 wheel drive.

Hello Ed,

It would be best for fuel economy sake to get the lightest and lowest
trailer that would do the job.  If money were no object, then an aluminum
trailer would be very nice.  Consider the following:

1) The Corvair car wheelbase is 108" (9 feet) and FC's are 95" (8 feet),
therefore a 12 foot trailer should be adequate to hold any Corvair with
some overhang, however you may want to go with a 14 or 16 foot trailer.

2) Corvairs have low ground clearance; the trailer would best be a tilt
bed, preferably with drop center axles, or be equipped with long ramps to
avoid bottoming when loading or unloading.

3) The heaviest Corvair, the Greenbrier, weighs about 2900 lbs.  You might
want some extra capacity for extra parts, etc.  A 5000 lb GVW trailer
should be adequate. Note that GVW is the combination of the trailer itself
and the load.  A 5000 lb GVW trailer that weighs 1000 lbs will have a load
capacity of 4000 lbs.

4) It is nice insurance if the trailer has wheel bolt pattern that will
interchange with either the Corvair (5 X 4.75, but EM 4 X 4.5 might not
work) or with your tow vehicle (5 X 4.5 ?) so that you could borrow the tow
(or towed) vehicle spare in case of multiple flat tires.

5) A 5000 lb GVW trailer could be done as a single axle rig, but tandem
axle trailers ride a bit nicer.

6) Make sure the trailer has good brakes (the law for trailers this size)
because the loaded trailer will be approaching the weight of your tow
vehicle.  I prefer electric brakes because they can be operated
independently with the brake controller and do not depend on the tow
vehicle's de-acceleration to operate.

7) A winch (manual or electric) is very handy for loading inoperable cars.

8) Get a transmission cooler and/or temperature gauge for the tow vehicle.

9) Make sure that the fore/aft position of the trailer axles are such that
a Corvair (presumably loaded forward) will create a tongue load of about
10-15% of the trailer weight.  For example: if you have a 1000 lb trailer
and load a 2400 lb car for a total trailer weight of 3400 lb, then the
tongue weight should be 350-500 lb on the tow vehicle.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI