<VV> Serial numbers, differential questions and Tom Keosababian's car

Ken Garver dunlapsville@yahoo.com
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 02:47:51 -0800 (PST)

1) Where do I find serial number charts for head codes, crankshaft codes and crankcase codes too?  Specifically what does crankcase code "TO201Y" tell me?  T= Tonowanda and Y= Turbocharged IIRC.  Its been a looooooooong time since I've dealt W/Corvair codes!

I've ordered "Corvair - A Junkyard Primer" are they in that book?

2) What year did Chevy offer 4.11:1 Corvair differential ratios?  I know that the Yenko Stingers ran them but I always thought that they were made up by Don from the Chevy parts bin and "sorta"homolegated" just for racing.  Is that indeed correct?   Did they ever come stock on Vans or FC vehicles?

3) How do you tell what year and model flywheel/ring gear sets came out of ?  What are the best ones for road racing?  For drag racing?  For running at Bonneville?

4) Where can I get reprints of the Tom Keosababian articles on his 173+ MPH car?

5) What is the largest engine you can build using the VW cylinders?  Where are they they cheapest (new)?  Can you find them used?  What is the hot set-up for pistons?

ITYIA for any and all help with these questions.

Regards, Ken
northern New Jersey, USA