<VV> Used parts passing as NOS

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:55:15 EST

Crawford,

Great post.

I have been buying on eBay for some time and have had a few bad experiences.
Fortunately, very few.  The problem is that predators have learned the buzz
words and know how to work the system.  The words "as is" are valid for certain
conditions like if a radio is untested or such.  (Always assume it doesn't
work when you see those words.)  There are sellers who knowingly misrepresent
the product and then hide behind those words.  I had a seller who had NOS in the
title but then put a question mark next to the NOS? in the text and hid
behind that little trick.  The pictures didn't show the wear marks but they were
obvious to me when I received the item and I am sure that they were obvious to
the seller as well.  Modifiers like "I think" .... "I believe" .... "I've been
told" .... "I am selling for someone else and don't know for sure" are all red
flags.  You may want to send messages asking for more info.  Ask specific
questions.  Do this as early in the auction cycle as possible so that you both
have time to go back and forth if necessary.  As an aside, also ask about
shipping costs if it isn't included.  An unexpected extra $10 or $15 added to the
bottom line can turn a good deal bad real quick.

Be careful out there,
Doc

PS:  My pet peeve is people selling the Green type bearings as NOS.  Yes,
they may be new but they most definitely aren't NOS.
~~~~~~~