<VV> Wheel Stud Torque

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:55:01 -0800

At 01:33 hours 11/30/2004 -0600, J R Read_HML wrote:
>The USUAL error (I'll admit to having made it) is to mistake inch pounds for
>foot pounds.  Same result - break the bolt (or stud).  However, this does
>not normally involve hazardous wheel retrieval.

One interesting thing happened in my basement..,. during a refurbishment of
a 2.8 V6 out of a Fiero, got a new crank, rod, rings/bearings gaskets/seals
etc.    I'd finished up most everything and a buddy was gonna lend a hand,
so I told him that he could put the pan on while I was gathering up all the
FI hardware and plumbing etc to try and make some sense out of it.   He
insisted upon using a torque wrench... so, I'd pointed to the torque
wrenches hanging on the hooks and told him 20 lbs/inch (I think it was
20... this was a few years ago and I disremember the exact figure) as per
the book but he evidently spaced it or something and cranked in 20 lbs/ft
on all the pan bolts.

The rubberized pan gasket was spurting out like stepped-on grapes and the
pan rail looked corrugated.    And not a single pan fastener broke.

tony..   knows how to use a tork wrench