<VV> Oil Out the Dipstick Revisited

Geoffrey A. Johnson geoffj@unm.edu
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:50:17 -0600

	This afternoon I tore down the ULTRA '64 110 engine in my 63 I put in in
July.  This engine had atrocious blow by.  Valve guides are good and it had
good intake valve seals.   Rings are the problem like I knew.  Looked ok
when I pulled them out.  Then put one in the cylinder and squared it off
with a piston.  1/4 inch ring gap!  Everything else looks good in the
engine.  Chabers look good, especially for a engine that used so much oil.
So the cylinders will get a quick hone and re-assembly with new rings then
back together.  Cylinder wear looks to be pretty good -  very minimal.  New
rings squared in place show a ring gap in spec with the shop manual, as is
skirt to wall clearance.   Nothing new going in the engine but rings and
gaskets!  I can't complain, this engine runs great otherwise and it has
done what it was supposed to do - keep the car on the road until I could
get around to taking care of its oil consumption.

-Geoff Johnson