<VV> Evening Orchid Convertible

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:56:27 EDT

When product planners select the color palette, they have a certain group of
colors that are sort-of mandantory since they are top sellers.  At the moment,
silver is the #1 color (Chevy trucks have three silvers available, for
example).  Once the white, blue, red(s), and silvers are out of the way, you select
a second group that are more trendy.  For the last few years, these have been
autumn colors. (think burnt orange metallic and certain gold-greens) A couple
of years ago, the trend colors were teals and other metallic greens. Once and
a while, there's the opportunity to do a "signature" color that's really "out
there".  This is "bold" selection that can really send a message about the car
or company.  You don't expect the signature color to sell in any volume but
it has a strong role in projecting a "we're a cool company" image and becomes
very useful in helping to create eye-catching advertising copy and displays.
In 1965, Evening Orchid was the signature color for Chevy.  In '66 it was Aztek
Bronze.  At Honda, in '87 we did a Metallic Black Prelude.  In '88 it was the
"Screaming Yellow" Prelude.  In '89 at Nissan, we did a metallic purple 240
sx that was a similar color value to Evening Orchid, though a stronger hue.
Signature colors tend to be on "youth oriented" vehicles; you won't see them
on any Lexuses (Lexae?) Companies don't plan to run signature colors in volume
as they lose their impact once they're "out there".  (Plus, it's fun to pick
a new one each year)
That's how I see Evening Orchid and it's role at Chevy; the '65 signature
color.
Craig (used to be a product planner) Nicol
67 Monza 4-door (Mist blue over white)
66 Monza (straight red, three stage)
65 Corsa 'vert (Evening Orchid)