<VV> Normal engine temp?

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 14:52:56 EDT

        Well, IMHO it's impossible to compare temps between cars with
different gauges UNLESS the gauges have been calibrated.  These stock Spyder/Corsa
gauges were never very accurate to begin with and after 40 years, there's no
telling how inaccurate they are.  My 65 180 Corsa (with UNcalibrated gauge)
normally indicated 400 deg.F just cruising at highway speeds on a flat road.  Up a
long steep hill under heavy load, it climbed to 450 deg.F.  Back on the flat
road the temp dropped again to 400.  The 66 95hp Monza had a CALIBRATED Stewart
Warner gauge that normally read 350 deg.F.  Driving on 3 cylinders (only 1
carb functioning) brought the temp up to 450 deg.F in July highway driving
getting the car home.  (Math test:  If one carb is making A/F = 13 and the second
carb is making A/F = infinity, what is the AVERAGE A/F???)
       So the REAL value of your CHT gauge is to establish what your NORMAL
reading is under idling, cruising, and high load conditions and then when that
gauge deviates from these values you know something has gone wrong.  For
example, if the idle temp drops significantly, it may signal that one of the
thermostats has failed, since it's not unusual for one (or even both) thermostats to
be closed at idle speed in the cold winter months.
       Frank "likes measuring stuff" Burkhard