<VV> Vacuum advance/distributor question (and a thank you!)

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 17:53:14 -0400

When you disconnect the hose, do you plug it (the hose)? If so, and your
engine runs great that way, I'd say you have a leak in your vacuum advance.
You'll have to replace it. Be careful! There must be a dozen or so different
(calibrations) of vacuum advance for the Corvair. If yours only suffers from
a weakened spring (so that it advances too much at too-low rpms), you can
fix (recalibrate) that by use of a vacuum gauge, a wrench socket, and a
hammer. See the article in the Tech Guide that completely explains the
problem and the process.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of RKAT
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 5:52 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Vacuum advance/distributor question (and a thank you!)

First of all, I have to thank everyone who has answered any of my
questions!!! Thank you!! After being away from Corvairs for nearly 14
years, a little refreshing is required.

My 66 Corsa 140. Pops, backfires and runs rough. I disconnect the vacuum
hose from the vacuum advance and it runs great. I checked the vacuum,
not too high. Week vacuum advance? I think I'm going to go ahead and
change it anyway. Opinions?