<VV> Re: Torque Spec also carb torque specs

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 19:08:09 -0400

On Oct 2, 2004, at 11:05 AM, Mike Kost wrote:

> Jim McLott wrote:
>> <snip>
>> An now for my Corvair question: What is the torque spec for the nuts
>> that hold the upper control arm cross shaft to the front crossmember
>> for
>> a '66 Monza?  I don't see a figure anywhere in the shop manual.
>> Thanks,
>> Jim McLott & Christine, the 1966 Monza convertible she-devil
>> Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta and member emeritus of Group Red
>
> According to my `68 Supplement the spec is 40 ft. lbs. as near as I
> can tell.
>
> Mike Kost

Yes. In the 1965 Shop Manual, page 3-13, "Installation of Control Arm
Assembly", item 12., it reads, "and tighten cross shaft bolts to 34-45
ft. lbs." I think these are the bolts you are referring to. I don't see
anything in the '66 Assembly Manual about these nuts, as they are part
of a sub-assembly.

The Assembly Manuals are a great place to find obscure torque specs.
For instance, it is the only place I've ever found the torque spec for
the two nuts that hold each carburetor on the studs. That spec is 7-13
lbs. ft., quite a range. I convert it to inch lbs and use about 125
inch lbs.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina