<VV> Engine Re-Ringing

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj@unm.edu
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 07:15:09 -0600 (MDT)

As I mentioned, finished putting new rings in the motor in my 63 on
Saturday.  After
spending to much time in the rough crowd at a  Social Distorion show
Friday night, got
up really early and sore and took the engine down the rest of the way and
started cleaning.  Then friends from CNM  showed up and we honed the
cylinders and
cleaned the ring grooves on the pistons.  Replaced  a valve that had not
been rotating very well with a good one.  Guides looked great, must have
been replaced at some point.  Seats looked good.  Got the heads back on
and torqued and much of the shrouding in place.  Today I will finish
putting everything else on, and then install an electric fuel pump.  The
eccentric on this engine is very mangled, and is loose on the crankshaft,
so it had been eating fuel pump push  rods.

Big thanks to Del Patten, Dave Huntoon, Robert Gold, Javi Gold, and my
sister Sally Johnson for all the help.

-Geoff Johnson