<VV> Putnam

Levair@aol.com Levair@aol.com
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 00:31:41 EDT

all,
First, congratulations for Paul Fox finishing second overall at the Indy solo.
Michael and I couldn't be there as we were playing at Putnam Park Raceway.
   It's tough, having so many choices as where to run.
   The Schart/ Akari/ Wheel Source event is a delight. Weather was perfect,
event was well run, every one was friendly.
   Our only disappointment was that Jim Schardt did not bring out his race
Stinger to compete with us on dry equal practice conditions. Since I will likely
not run the Stinger at any more open track events this year or next, our
competition is over. I just have to concentrate on the Bill Thomas/ Doug Roe car.
I must get it done while still able. I worked on the electrics some tonight.
  I think that I will convert the Stinger back to an autocross transaxle just
so that I WILL NOT  have plan "B": to fall back on.
   Michael and I had a great time running with the 911 Porsches and such. We
passed a couple of 911s just for Rob Fike's benefit as he is running one next
year., He had his beautiful "for sale" turbo Corsa there (not racing).
   We diced with each other a lot. We learned not to dice too much when the
Schardt brothers want to get past us for the same dicing---another black flag!
   Michael's engine seems to be a little more powerful than mine but the cars
are as equal as spec Miatas.
   There was a LOT of interest in the guady, loud Corvairs so we advertised
plentyfor CORSA.
   Unbelieveably, my "gernade" 13/1 engine has lasted 1  1/2 years and many
hours of track events.
   Michael and I have blown our racing budgets for this year, so will only be
autocrossing for a while.
  Our next event  will be Oct  17 at the Auburn Kruse Museum lot. I've never
seen it and will have to put it on.
   Oh, on the subject of gear ratios. We were running free 24" rear tires
with 3.55 axles and really needed 3.89s to be geared properly for the front
straight. The corner gearing was about right, so would have been great for a wheel
to wheel race.
   Hope to see you on a track next year in the vintage 1960 Thomas/Roe car,
Warren