<VV> Cross shaft bolts torque spec

Jim McLott Jim.McLott@DOR.GA.GOV
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:37:15 -0400

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about how tight the
bolts on the ends of the cross shaft should be.  (These are the bolts
that hold the cross shaft in the upper control arm, not the nuts that
hold the cross shaft to the front cross member.)  The consensus was
35-40 ft. lbs. After carefully rereading the 1965 shop manual, I can see
where step 12 on page 3-13 confirms this.  The shop manual makes it
sound like the bolts should be tightened with the wheel on the car and
the car on the ground, but I had to raise the car and remove the wheel,
so I hope I got them tightened right.

Jim McLott & Christine, the 1966 Monza convertible she-devil
Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta and - for a few hours yesterday - Group
Red