<VV> Cross shaft bolts

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:06:50 -0400

Some time ago, when installing a cross shaft onto the cross member, I
realized the bolts I was using had a shoulder that was not long enough to
provide a loose "shoulder fit" to the cross shaft holes.  It was riding on
the threads which were smaller in diameter.  This, I felt was too loose and
might result in shifting with use and resultant change in alignment.  My
solution was to use a longer Grade 8 bolt with corresponding taller shoulder
which provided the fit I desired.  I shortened the bolt as it would have
been too long, hitting the inner fender panel behind the cross member
upright support.

Chuck S