<VV> Does anyone have an Early PG in the DFW area that I can test

Steve Oxford seoxford@att.net
Tue, 05 Oct 2004 15:44:19 +0000

"...I'm SERIOUSLY concidering flying to California to buy a restored '63 Monza Convertible with PG.  I've never driven one with the automatic and I'm not sure if I'd like driving it or not....I'd like to drive one locally...."

Tom:
1) Before trying to find another car to drive, make sure you get some answers on the '63 that you are considering.  What is the engine?  If a 102, then I would discourage purchasing the car.  If a 95 or 110, then consider the purchase.
2) Find out what the rear end ratio is.  It should be a 3.55 or 3.89.  If the car has a 3.27 rear end ratio, you probably will not like driving it with the automatic.
3) Try out a similar automatic on the highway as well as on city streets. I really like my '63 with a 110/pg in the city but the engine noise gets pretty tiresome in a hurry on the highway at 70+ mph.
4) If you really think you want a 4spd, there are plenty of cars you could buy - don't buy an automatic just so you can make the conversion - not extremely difficult but not easy the first time (and, as you already realize, you'll need a donor car).

Peruse the CORSA ads, eBay, Autotrader.com, Clarks website, and let VV know what you are looking for.  I'll bet you can find something within a few hundred miles of home that will be exactly what you are looking for.

Steve Oxford/'63 conv 110/pg