<VV> No spark

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 15:57:06 EDT

        While I certainly agree with the use of a voltmeter/DMM/test light to
trace out the ignition circuit as Jim so aptly describe, you can take a short
cut by connecting a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal directly to
the positive terminal on the ignition coil (this is NOT the one with the
black wire going to the distributor).  Now try to start the engine.  If it starts
and runs, you know the problem lies in your wiring UPSTREAM of the coil.  If
it still refuses to start, your problem lies either with the coil or the wire
going to the distributor or with the points/condensor inside the distributor.
       Needless to say, you can't continue running the engine on this jumper
cable since you have no way of shutting off the engine from the driver's seat
and the full 12+ volts applied continuously to the ignition points will
shorten their life considerably.  But as a short test, it should help to localize
your problem.
       The above, of course, assumes that lack of spark is the reason for
your inability  to start the engine.
       Reminds me of the time I rebuilt both carbs on our Corvair and, a few
days later, noticed that the engine cut out only in sharp right turns.  As
soon as the car straightened out the engine resumed operating.  Of course I
jumped to the "obvious" conclusion that the problem was due to the carb rebuilding
I had just done, but I delayed the task of rebuilding them again.  I delayed
until I lucked out one morning when the car refused to start at all.  Lucked
out because it's MUCH easier to find and fix a problem that is permanent instead
of intermittent.  So I quickly discovered that the wire from the coil to the
distributor had partly missing insulation which moved to the left on sharp
right turns and grounded out the ignition thereby eliminating the action of the
ignition points until the car returned to straightahead driving.  (This was a
1966 A/C car so the coil was located such that the wire could easily ground out
if its insulation failed.)
       So if the points do not serve to interrupt the flow of electric
current through the coil at the proper time, the ignition spark will either not be
created or will be made at the wrong time.
       Good luck and let us know what you find.
       Frank "occasionally lacking spark" Burkhard