<VV> Gas Odor

qcc65@charter.net qcc65@charter.net
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 5:38:43 +0000

Wayne,
   Most of your replies point you toward the filler hoses. From your post it would seem the smell is only imediately after a drive, so I'll share an experience of mine. I had a late model convertible that sat a great deal of it's life. When I purchased it we drove it a lot and I would top off the tank and usually keep it near full. We constantly had the problem you described. Only after a drive and only for about an hour or less would we smell the strong odor of fresh gas near the front. I removed the tank for inspection and found small pin holes in the top of the tank. Condensation had rusted the top of the tank from the inside over the years. The rest of the tank was in great shape. When we drove the car, the sloshing in the tank would cause a small amount to exit the tank. Not even enough to ever drip on the ground, but enough to always smell of raw gas without being able to tell where it came from.

Just another posibility
Ron Guy
Baghdad Corvair Club.......Lone Member