<VV> (no subject)

chickwich@comcast.net chickwich@comcast.net
Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:56:15 +0000

        Well, everyone I am finally out of Group Red.  The Mystery Machine is actually on the road.  I still have a long way to go with it, but is off the jack stands and on 4 wheels and can make it anywhere I don't mind walking home from.  My first trip with the van was to pick up my children from elementary school.  The school children mobbed the van.  There were probably 50-60 kids surrounding the van, all wanting to see Scooby.  After all the kids left, the teachers all came over to see.  My kids (and I) were beaming from ear to ear telling everyone that it was theirs.
        The van is a 63 Corvan, painted as the venerable Mystery Machine from Hanna-Barberra. So far I have replaced the battery, tires and brakes. I have just done the alternator conversion.  The upholstery is done in 2 tone green to match the exterior which was painted a coule of years ago.  It still needs a lot of work.  Right now it is a three speed, with a cantankerous 2nd gear which only goes into gear when it wants to.  Rather than fixing the 3 speed, I am planning a 4 speed conversion, as money allows.  The front floorpans and wiring harness needs replacing.  Thank you all for the suggestions for parts.  I plan on putting carpet in sometime over the winter.  It also needs seatbelts since I haul kids with me most of the time. Once I get the van a little more reliable, I will start taking it to shows.
        I am trying to keep it in the garage to keep the rust at bay, but it creates so much  attention, I want to keep it outside.  People stalk my house just to get a glimpse of it; little children, teenagers, and adults alike, it is truley a multigeneraltional van.  I even had a local Sheriff stop, and all he could say is that's really cool.
        I have been on VV for a few years now and have heard a lot of people call their van the Mystery Machine, but I have yet to see one painted like it.  I am accustomed to seeing people stare at Corvairs, but nothing like this.  If you want to see the van, you can take a look at Chesapeake Corvairs website at www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter210/mysterymachine
Until then I wish you all happy Corvairing.
Andy Hammond
chickwich@comcast.net
63 Corvan Mystery Machine
www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter210/mysterymachine