<VV> Is this a common failure? Seems odd to me.

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:27:49 -0400

They were probably stripped before and you didn't notice when installing
them.  Depending on "how much" they are stripped, they could be hard or easy
to put in.  Kind of have to pay attention.  You can get inserts like
helicoils and they work.

Chuck S

-----Original Message-----
From: Macdonald David [mailto:dmacd_us@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 8:08 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Is this a common failure? Seems odd to me.

I started driving the Corsa on my daily commute this
week.
Various problems have started to shake out:
Bad speedometer cable.
Original coil was not up to starting with even the
slightest moisture.

But when I went to leave the office today I noticed
the camber way of on the passenger side. When I looked
underneath I found that the strut mount bolts to the
transaxle had come out. Front bolt was still there
held by the clutch spring and the back one was gone.

I thought that I had, perhaps forgotten to torque them
down, but a closer inspection showed that both of the
top bolt holes were stripped. I used a torque wrench
to put them in. I don't recall the setting but it was
likely 40 ft-lbs.

Seems odd to have this happen with no warning. Anyone
seen this before?

David
'65 Corsa 140 Coupe
124,000 miles '65 through '74