<VV> Power Enrichment /Accelerator pump circuits

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:45:22 EDT

In a message dated 10/8/2004 7:03:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dmonasterio@megared.net.mx writes:

Bob,
I think that the brass needle moves upward when  the accelerator pump moves
down, sending fuel to the passage below the  brass needle, allowing fuel to be
skirted thru the 2 tiny holes. Please,  correct me if wrong.

Daniel

<<What makes the  pump discharge needle work, when all it is, is a piece of
> brass with a  point, sitting  in a hole?
>
> Engine vacuum pulls the brass  needle off its seat. That allows a flow of
gas
> from the internal  restriction (jet).>>

I feel like the person in the old Certs commercial - Stop - You're both
right!

The problem is that the original questioner (Russ) mixed up two  circuits -
since his letter had three questions, that's not too bad.  First  he asked
about the high speed enrichment needle and whether it belonged in a  secondary
carb. Bob rightly answered no. But there was (at least originally) no  place for
it in a secondary anyway. There is no high speed circuit  installed in a
secondary carb. My guess is that someone swapped on some  extra primary carbs. Then
he asked about accelerator pumps cups. Bob answered  the normal reply that
cups should be removed in secondaries, since they are not  normally needed.
Finally, Russ asked about the pump discharge needles and how  they worked. Here
Bob answered the correct answer for the high speed enrichment  circuit needles.
Oops. As Daniel said, the needles in the accelerator discharge  circuit are
lifted off by accelerator pump discharge pressure. Those needles are  put there
to keep engine vacuum from the venturi from sucking out the fuel  stored for
pump use.
An old racing tip was to remove those needles and grind a slot or two on  the
sides of them (across where they seat) usually with a file, then re-install.
This lets the accelerator circuit bleed a little bit of extra fuel in at high
 air volume through the carbs, sort of an auxiliary high speed enrichment
circuit. One other note, if you want to disable a factory high speed enrichment
circuit in a primary carb - say for use as a secondary - you can just use the
 wrong gasket that comes in the kit. Most kits have two different ones to go
under the cluster. If you use the one without the hole over the brass
plunger,  you have eliminated the high speed enrichment circuit! - Seth  Emerson