<VV> Trailing Arm/Differential Play

Scott Ham hamitup@earthlink.net
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 15:22:37 -0500

I recently pulled the engine and drive train out of my 66' 140 and replaced the blocker rings in the tranny.
While everything was out I also replaced the trailing arm front bushings, lower control arms, and put
HD springs, and gas shocks all the way around.  Now that I have everything back in I've found I have
play in the rear end that I didn't have before.  With the rear of the car up on jack stands I can grab the
top of the tires and rock them in and out.  My wheel bearings are good so I know it's not that.  It looks
like the trailing arm is rocking back and forth because of play at the differential.  How much play should
there be in the differential?  I talked to my mechanic about replacing the snout that the throw out bearing
slides on with a machined one and he advised against it because the gear lash looked good and he didn't
want to mess it up.  Besides there was nothing wrong with the old snout, I just thought the double seal snout
sounded better.  What are your ideas about getting rid of the play.

Thanks

Scott Ham
hamitup@earthlink.net
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.