<VV> MAUM Report

Terry Kalp tkalp@cox.net
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:29:28 -0500

Ned and I paid a visit to the Mid-America Ultra Monza and Steve Z. on Friday
night.  It seems that last time Steve drove the MAUM that the brake and tail
lights stopped working.
Steve has been recovering from his bypass operation and  suddenly had an
intense, constant pain in his leg. The doctors figured out that he had a
cyst pressing on his spine an easy operation to remove it and all would be
fine.  The only problem was that for the operation he had to be in a rather
unflattering position with his sternum on the operating table bearing much
of his weight . . . so the operation had to wait for three weeks for his
chest to heal enough.

Needless to say Steve was an observer while Ned and I tackled the light
problem.  Once we figured out that Ned was the most . . . "flexible" . . .
he grabbed the multimeter and I found a chair and the factory wiring diagram
and began barking instructions.  Starting at the taillights Ned began
tracing the circut back to the dash.  Everything in the engine compartment
checked out fine so Ned dove under the dash. Once Ned found the right wires
under the dash I told him to apply 12 volts to the taillight.  "Where do I
get 12 volts", asked Ned.

 I told him, "from the fuse box".  A few seconds later the lights flashed on
. . . great, I told Ned the lights were on.  He said "What?"  then notified
us that he had only touched the meter to ground and then to the fusebox to
find 12 volts . . . hmmmm?  To make a long story shorter, we discovered that
corosion on the fuse clips was preventing the circut from working, when Ned
was searching for 12 v. he wiggled the connection enough to make it work.
Once the fuse contact was cleaned, everything was working fine and the MAUM
was back on the road.

Steve's daughter drove him and the MAUM to the MCCA meeting on Saturday
night with no further problems.  Once he recovers from his Hospital time
Steve is ready to start the bodywork on the MAUM.  He has all the repair
panels purchased, and we are wishing him a speedy recovery.

Terry Kalp